Monday, April 30, 2012

Watership

Just completed my annual reading of Watership Down by Richard Adams.
Regardless of its position in the children aged 9-12 section of Chapters, it is a brilliant book I can't help but love. For me, it is an ageless tale that translates far beyond a 9 year old audience to reach young and old readers alike. Though I did first read Watership at age 11, I'm not 100% sure all of the deeper themes would translate to your average 9 year old from the outset)

A tale of loyalty, and friendship that overcomes all obstacles, the underlying themes of the novel are universal ones, despite all characters being rabbits (with the exception of one bird). A relatable story of suffering and triumph, where goodness wins out (but not without sacrifice) and wits and cleverness are praised, I can't help but love it time and time again and find it an ageless gem for all readers - definitely enjoyable and with some great lessons too. What more could you ask for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment